Black Founders: Diverse by Default. Inclusion By Action.
Now, more than ever, it’s time for action. On July 23rd 2020, we had the pleasure of hosting a panel discussion Black Founders. Diverse by Default. Inclusion by Action. in partnership with our friends at uOttawa eHub, Kanata North Business Association, and Invest Ottawa.
Our panel touched on challenges and issues that Black founders face right here at home, and we spoke about the roots of these issues and how to work at dismantling them.
Meet the panel:
- Russell Coltess, CEO and Founder, SweatCrew (Moderator)
- Serge Kiema, Co-Founder, Dunia Pay
- Meghan Wills, Mindfulness Coach – Mindfulness Meghan + President/Chair of Parents for Diversity
- Jesmine Onyeukwu, Founder, The Organizing Academy + CEO/Founder JessylsCharm
- Kevin Bourne, Editor/Co-Founder, SHIFTER Magazine
As our panel made very clear, the work is far from over but by working together we can make more progress than we could ever imagine alone.
As part of this initiative, the organizers + panel behind this event have created a tool kit of resources to continue progress in the right direction. We’ll continue adding resources here, and if you have a resource you’d like to see added feel free to reach out to Natasha, Community Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Did you miss the event? No worries – watch it here:
- Access innovative resources for improving the well-being and performance of yourself and teams
- 10k + 5k grants for Black Women + Non-Binary Founders.
- Launched by the DMZ, this program is focused on empowering the next wave of Black entrepreneurs.The first in Canada fellowship program will provide startups led by Black entrepreneurs with the strengthening support of a top university-based incubator network, as well as additional programming, mentorship, events, and connections to industry, capital and an alumni network, to support their success and growth.
- Blackfounders.com has created an ecosystem that stimulates tech entrepreneurship + fosters economic growth. They have a variety of resources + programs available.
- Get a complimentary performance-enhancement session for tackling discrimination
- Created by the uOttawa Student Union (UOSU) this is an amazing compilation of resources, articles + more – put together FOR and FROM the Black Community. Way to go uOttawa!
- Written by entrepreneur, Amoye Henry, this article uncovers the truth about the struggle that Black women go through as founders right here in Canada. A MUST read.
- Numbers don’t lie. Look at the cold hard facts outlined in this article – you might be shocked! It’s also full of other great resources to check out.
- So you’ve read the article about data, and now you’re wondering ‘How can I change that?’ – well James Normal covers that next step in this article by the Harvard Business Review.
- The BlackNorth Initiative was created by the Canadian Council of Business Leaders Against Anti-Black Systemic Racism to combat anti-Black systemic racism in Corporate Canada. The initiative challenges senior Canadian business leaders to commit their companies to specific actions and targets designed to end anti-Black systemic racism and create opportunities for all of those in the underrepresented BIPOC community.
- Put your money where your mouth is. Need we say more?
- We held a Twitter chat on July 30th focused on continuing this momentum + this conversation with different Black founders. Check it out.
Do you have additional resources to add? We want to hear from you! We’d love to continue to grow this toolkit, please reach out to Community Manager, Natasha, at email@example.com.